Man Taken to Hospital after Hetley Road Fire

"Lucky to come out alive" going after going back into his home

Hetley Road map
Participate

London Fire Brigade

Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A man was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation following a fire on Hetley Road in Shepherds Bush early in the morning of Tuesday March 26.

Crew Manager Ian Mills, from Hammersmith fire station, who was at the scene, sais: " It appears the man was woken up by his smoke alarm and escaped the property without injury.

" Unfortunately, he went back into the property and was overcome by the smoke. He was being pulled out of the house by neighbours when we arrived and is now in hospital with smoke inhalation.

"You should never, ever go back into a fire – no object is ever worth the danger you put yourself in when you go back inside. He’s very lucky to have come back out alive.

"The only good thing here is that he did have a working smoke alarm, and it probably saved his life. If you have a fire, our advice is always get out, stay out, and call the Brigade."

Initial investigation suggests that the fire was caused by a candle that had been left burning overnight.

Crew Manager Mills added: " Candles are one of the most common causes of fire in London homes. Never, ever leave a candle unattended and definitely don’t fall asleep with one burning.

" All it takes is a slight breeze and suddenly your candle has set light to something else. Blow them out whenever you leave the room and always before you go to sleep."

Two fire engines from Hammersmith fire station went to the scene after being alerted just after midnight and a small part of a studio flat was damaged by the fire. The Brigade says it was called at 12.23am and the fire was under control at 12.51am.

 

March 27, 2013