|Market Campaigners Vow to Fight Compulsory Purchase|
Appeal planned after Communities Secretary goes against inspector's recommendation
Shopkeepers and stall holders fighting plans to redevelop Shepherd's Bush Market are planning to appeal after Communities Secretary Eric Pickles approved a compulsory purchase order, or CPO, earlier this month.
His decision went against the recommendations of planning inspector Ava Wood, as shown in the Decision Letter.
The letter recorded that her recommendation was that the order should not be confirmed because the "guarantees and safeguards are not sufficiently robust to be assured that genuine opportunities exist for current traders and/or shopkeepers" and there is therefore a "real risk" that the new market and shops "will not provide the ethnic diversity, independent or small scale retailing environment that is central to the appeal of the area".
However the secretary of state disagreed with this, concluding that the benefits for the area outweigh the objections to the scheme.
"The secretary of state considers that the proposed purpose of the order, including the redevelopment and regeneration of the area, will significantly contribute to the achievement of the promotion or improvement of the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of the area," the decision letter said.
Planning minister Brandon Lewis said the scheme has the potential to bring "substantial" benefits.
"This market is held in great affection by the local community," he said. "Regeneration will enable it to continue to provide a diverse range of stalls to meet their needs as well as improving the appeal for new visitors and shoppers alike."
The decision was described as "outrageous" by Hammersmith MP Andy Slaughter, who said: " I hoped we had seen an end to the bias in favour of developers and away from residents and small business when the Tories lost control of the Council in May but now we have the Government stepping in to tip the scales.
" We will now see what further legal challenge can be brought against this disgraceful political interference."
Shopkeepers at 30-52 Goldhawk Road, who have been fighting a long battle to save their premises from demolition as part of the redevelopment, have also vowed to fight on.
Aniza Meghani, of Classic Textiles, who has led the campaign to save the mid-19th century terrace says on their Facebook page: " We plan to appeal our case, and we have less then four weeks to appeal. I have been busy with our legal team.
" It affects our future and if we fail at that appeal, we won't stop but take it further...Article 1, Article 8 Human Rights... no one has the right to take the bread and butter of someone whose greed is more selfish!"
Orion Shepherds Bush, a joint venture between Development Securities and Orion Land & Leisure is planning a £150 million mixed-use redevelopment which it says will include a revitalised market, up to 211 residential units and over 14,000 sq ft of retail and leisure space.
Earlier this year they announced they had signed an agreement with Pramerica Real Estate Investors worth £44 million to fund the first phase of the redevelopment and said that they hope to begin work next summer.
October 27, 2014