Woody Grill Owner Fined £30,000 for Filthy Conditions in Kitchen

Uxbridge Road restaurant found to be dangerously dirty and putting residents at risk

Related Links

Woody Grill in Shepherd's Bush

Woody Grill Shepherd's Bush

Participate

Sign up for our Shepherds's Bush newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The owners of the Woody Grill restaurant on Uxbridge Road has been fined £30,000 after putting the public at risk by keeping food in  conditions.

Following an investigation by Hammersmith & Fulham Council, the owners of Woody Grill restaurant and takeaway, at 1 Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush, pleaded guilty in court to a total of eight offences.

H&F Council’s environmental health team stepped in after complaints from residents who fell ill after eating at the restaurant.

Filthy conditions in Woody Grill restaurant in Uxbridge Road

Officers found the restaurant in a filthy condition, including dirty food preparation surfaces, chopping boards and fridge door handles.

In addition, cooked food was not protected from raw food, animal droppings were found in the back store room with no pest control measures in place and health and safety paperwork was not kept.

Filthy conditions in Woody Grill Kitchen

The restaurant’s owner, Cengiz Erpolat, was also ordered to pay costs of £4,327.50 and a £120 victim surcharge at Hammersmith Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday February 23.

Erpolat also owns six other Woody Grill restaurants across the capital and has previous convictions for similar offences in neighbouring Ealing.

" When customers eat out the very least they can expect is food that doesn’t make them ill," says Cllr Wesley Harcourt, H&F Cabinet Member for Environment, Transport and Residents’ Services. " And these failings are also unfair on the vast majority of businesses who invest properly in proper hygiene standards to keep residents safe.

" This heavy fine should serve as an indication of just how determined we are to stop restaurant owners motivated solely by financial gain cutting corners and selling dangerous food to the residents of Hammersmith & Fulham."

 

March 7, 2016