|Schools Across Borough Hit by Government Cuts|
Work stopped at 13 schools including seven in Fulham
Rebuilding work has been stopped by the government at seven schools in Fulham - Lady Margaret, London Oratory, Henry Compton, Hurlingham and Chelsea and Fulham Cross Schools, plus Queensmill School for children with autism and Bridge Academy Pupil Referral Unit.
The announcement of the cancellation of the Building Schools for the Future programme was made on Monday by the Coalition Government's Education Secretary Michael Gove, who said he was making tough, immediate decisions to help get the best value for money.
These schools are among 715 across the country which will no longer be rebuilt or refurbished.
Other schools in the borough whose building plans have been scrapped are Sacred Heart, William Morris and Cambridge in Hammersmith and Phoenix and Woodlane High Schools plus Jack Tizard School for pupils with severe learning difficulties in Shepherd's Bush.
Mr Gove said: "The Building Schools for the Future scheme has been responsible for about one third of all this department's capital spending.
" But throughout its life it has been characterised by massive overspends, tragic delays, botched construction projects and needless bureaucracy."
The government is now launching a comprehensive review of all capital investment in schools, which will guide spending decisions made in the next spending review period, 2011-12 to 2014-15.
Shadow Education Secretary Ed Balls condemned the decision, saying it was a "tragedy" for teachers and parents who would have benefited from new facilities.
Hammersmith and Fulham Council, which was planning Schools of Choice, a £207 million transformation of these schools under the Building Schools for the Future programme, has not yet commented on the government's announcement.
Last week the council announced its own plans to cut £55 million from its budget over the next three years by teaming up with Westminster City Council to merge their education services departments.
July 6, 2010