Unattended Candle Blamed for Shepherd's Bush House Fire

Blaze broke out in bedsit on Bloemfontein Avenue

Unattended Candle Blamed for Shepherd's Bush House Fire
Picture: London Fire Brigade

An unattended candle is believed to have caused a fire in a house in Shepherd this Tuesday (15 September).

Part of a room on the ground floor of a property converted into four bedsits on Bloemfontein Avenue was damaged by the fire.

Station Officer Ed Hawes, who was at the scene, said, “We believe that the cause of this fire was a candle left unattended in one of the bedsits, which ignited bedding. The owner of the flat was not in the house at the time. Thankfully a smoke alarm in the communal area sounded and alerted three residents who left before we arrived. There were no injuries. Firefighters quickly put out the blaze and confined it to the room where it began.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

The Brigade was called at 9.32pm and the fire was under control just over an hour later. Fire crews from Hammersmith, Acton and North Kensington fire stations attended the scene.

September 17, 2020